Relish?! (Read 13798 times)
adrenaline
Global Moderator

Valentino Rossi
Fanatic!!

Tempe, AZ
Relish?!
Nov 05th, 2009, 7:27am

Ok so I know this doesn't have anything to do with recycling but it does have to do with health so I thought I would post this.

The other day I was making some tuna salad to go on my sandwich. I was thinking about being lazy and not cutting a pickle and just throwing relish in it, but I couldn't really decide if I would like the taste of relish in my tuna salad. While I was contemplating how lazy I was going to be I started reading the ingredients. The stupid relish has "Corn Syrup" in it. I decided not to use it in  my tuna and I through it away. Relish is cut up pickles why do they need to add corn syrup to it?

In case anybody is wondering "High Fructose and/or Corn Syrup" is made of lots of harmful chemicals including hydrochloric acid. The base of this ingredient is the same diet they feed cows to fatten them up for slaughter.  It does that nicely but makes them sick. To keep the cows from getting sick too quickly they pump hormones into them to fight off the diseases the corn  by products gives them -although Cows are for a different thread.

Anyway "High Fructose Corn Syrup" or any type of "Corn Syrup" is not natural. It is all chemical based even to the chemical non-edible corn used as the base.

I believe this is really non healthy and would go as far to say that this is really bad for you.

If this concerns you read your labels. They have to put it in the ingredients section of the label.

High Fructose and/or Corn syrup has been associated with causing heart disease, stomach diseases, and diabetes.

Other products with corn syrup that might surprise you and I urge you to stay away from:

Heinz ketchup <--BAD read labels for better products
some breads <- read labels
Candies and juices <-- There are some candies and juices that do not contain Corn syrup, but you really have to read the labels to be sure.

Good luck and read labels.

"Of course a man made it. It's a commercial Lois, not a delicious thanksgiving dinner." --Peter Griffin
WWW adrenaline   IP Logged
oopsi8abug
Global Moderator
El Senior Member

AZ Baby
Re: Relish?!
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2009, 8:37am

Go Babe!

America's gotten to a very disturbing place foodwise.  I don't buy anything made with corn syrup for the house except for the rare occasions when I buy hot dog buns or Halloween candy.  Not that I don't ever eat crap, I just don't bring it into my house.  I know when I go to restaurants I'm eating mostly corn and chemicals.

And if we keep eating it, the big corporations will keep making it.  We need a food revolution   Smiley

oopsi8abug roboccn   IP Logged
Cyris
God Member

I give sport bikers
a bad name

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2009, 11:25am

Was that sweet relish or dill relish? My bet is on sweet relish.. which makes sense.

I am really going more toward the natural stuff myself whenever I can. Look at beer... BMC (Bud Miller Coors) are all made with rice and corn. Bleh, ill pass!

Multimedia file viewing and clickable links are available for registered members only!!  You need to Login or Register!!
WWW   IP Logged
adrenaline
Global Moderator

Valentino Rossi
Fanatic!!

Tempe, AZ
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2009, 12:34pm

Cyris wrote on Nov 5th, 2009, 11:25am:
Was that sweet relish or dill relish? My bet is on sweet relish.. which makes sense.

I am really going more toward the natural stuff myself whenever I can. Look at beer... BMC (Bud Miller Coors) are all made with rice and corn. Bleh, ill pass!

Gross!

It is not a joke that stuff is seriously bad for you. You really have to watch the labels they sneak that into everything.

yes it was sweet relish that I had. I will just cut pickles from now on, but I noticed the other day that stupid Claussen pickles have it too.  Undecided

"Of course a man made it. It's a commercial Lois, not a delicious thanksgiving dinner." --Peter Griffin
Chef Zech

Afterburners

Tempe
Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2009, 10:24pm

We put relish in our tuna at work it is the shiz nits, i love it.

Mike, High Fructose Corn Syrup is bad for you but Corn Syrup is not that bad for you. its the High Fructose that has all the harmful chemicals including hydrochloric acid, As where Basic Corn Syrup is just a liquid sugar. However its still not all that good for you.  

So instead of using Corn Syrup to sweeten things or like in making honey mustard use Honey or Agave nectar. Or you can always just make a simple syrup (equal parts water sugar I.E. 1Lb sugar + 16oz water).

Smiley

2009 Kawasaki ZX6R

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Chef Zech littleavbuddy   IP Logged
oopsi8abug
Global Moderator
El Senior Member

AZ Baby
Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2009, 11:11pm

Corn syrup is only slightly less bad for you than HFCS at the levels that it gets consumed.  It's one of the unhealthiest ways to sweeten your food.

We don't have difficulties not using corn syrup when we cook.  It's the processed foods that have HFCS and corn syrup.  We just don't buy them  Wink

oopsi8abug roboccn   IP Logged
Chef Zech

Afterburners

Tempe
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2009, 6:00am

Yeah it is crazy all the foods that have HFCS, i try to stay away from it and i try to buy organic when i can afford it.

The put all this crap in our food and then wounder why we have so many health issues.

2009 Kawasaki ZX6R

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are." - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Chef Zech littleavbuddy   IP Logged
adrenaline
Global Moderator

Valentino Rossi
Fanatic!!

Tempe, AZ
Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2009, 11:10am

Chef Zech wrote on Nov 6th, 2009, 6:00am:
Yeah it is crazy all the foods that have HFCS, i try to stay away from it and i try to buy organic when i can afford it.

The put all this crap in our food and then wounder why we have so many health issues.  

That is not a joke. I really think this is a lot more serious than we even know!!

=o^o
God Member

Vroooom, shift.

Chandler
Reply #8 - Nov 30th, 2009, 1:22pm

Wow, I had no clue. I try to stay away from high fructose corn syrup anyway, but I prefer pickles over relish.

|'05 Honda CBR600 F4i | Micron high mount exhaust | "Your face!"
=o^o   IP Logged
adrenaline
Global Moderator

Valentino Rossi
Fanatic!!

Tempe, AZ
Reply #9 - Nov 30th, 2009, 2:10pm

I hate to tell you this too, but you really need to read the pickle labels too some pickles have it and some don't. It's amazing what food people get away with. I often wonder if these people that put these toxic chemicals in their food eat their own food?

=o^o
God Member

Vroooom, shift.

Chandler
Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2009, 11:02am

Aww, booooo! I have been reading the label of things before I buy lately too, so I guess I'll have to start reading a lot more labels. That's scary. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm no health nut, but if I can avoid certain toxins, I will.

|'05 Honda CBR600 F4i | Micron high mount exhaust | "Your face!"
=o^o   IP Logged
V

98 900RR Honda

Chandler
Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2011, 10:02am

adrenaline wrote on Nov 30th, 2009, 2:10pm:
I hate to tell you this too, but you really need to read the pickle labels too some pickles have it and some don't. It's amazing what food people get away with. I often wonder if these people that put these toxic chemicals in their food eat their own food?

Toxic chemicals make everything taste better tho.  So I'm sticking with Toxic stuff in my food.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print